Quantcast

Exclude fields from SELECT command

Charles Tam

Hi Everybody

I’ve a table with 35 fields and would like to perform a SELECT command without specifying every single field.

As such, I’ve use the SELECT * command.  Is there an approach to exclude 5 fields from being returned?

Thanks for your time.

Kind Regards

Charles

Re: Exclude fields from SELECT command

Pavel Stehule
2009/3/16 Charles Tam <[hidden email]>:

> Hi Everybody
>

> I’ve a table with 35 fields and would like to perform a SELECT command
> without specifying every single field.
>
> As such, I’ve use the SELECT * command.  Is there an approach to exclude 5
> fields from being returned?

hello

no, there are no way

regards
Pavel Stehule

> Thanks for your time.
>

> Kind Regards
>
> Charles

Re: Exclude fields from SELECT command

Ashish Karalkar-4
Pavel Stehule wrote:

> 2009/3/16 Charles Tam <[hidden email]>:
>
>> Hi Everybody
>>

>> I’ve a table with 35 fields and would like to perform a SELECT command
>> without specifying every single field.
>>
>> As such, I’ve use the SELECT * command.  Is there an approach to exclude 5
>> fields from being returned?
>>

> hello
>
> no, there are no way
>
> regards
> Pavel Stehule
>

>> Thanks for your time.
>>

>> Kind Regards
>>
>> Charles

Workaround is create a view on that table excluding those 5 fields and
then select * from that view .

With regards
Ashish Karalkar

Re: Exclude fields from SELECT command

Pavel Stehule
Hello

> Workaround is create a view on that table excluding those 5 fields and then
> select * from that view .

I know better solution. Use only thin tables. Wide tables are devil. :)

regards
Pavel Stehule

> With regards
> Ashish Karalkar

Re: Exclude fields from SELECT command

sathiya psql
In what way it is devil ???? Clarifications. ..

I know better solution. Use only thin tables. Wide tables are devil. :)

Re: Exclude fields from SELECT command

Steve Midgley-3
At 05:20 PM 3/16/2009, [hidden email] wrote:

>Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 22:45:54 +0100
>Subject: Re: Exclude fields from SELECT command
>From: Pavel Stehule <[hidden email]>
>To: Charles Tam <[hidden email]>
>Cc: [hidden email]
>
>2009/3/16 Charles Tam <[hidden email]>:
> > Hi Everybody
> >

> > I’ve a table with 35 fields and would like
> to perform a SELECT command
> > without specifying every single field.
> >
> > As such, I’ve use the SELECT *
> command.  Is there an approach to exclude 5
> > fields from being returned?
> >

>hello
>
>no, there are no way
>
>regards
>Pavel Stehule

I think Pavel is right for 99% of the cases. But
there is a "cure that is worse than the disease."

You could select all columns from a bunch of
tables without knowing what the column names
were, excepting N columns, by iterating through
the info schema data and building a SQL select
appropriately (sql meta-programming I guess you
would call it). But it's a real chore to do
manually. If you have this need for some
programmatic purpose (where some initial
investment in effort will pay future dividends),
then check out the info schema options:

http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/infoschema-columns.html

In your case, I think you'd be looking for five
values of "table_name" and then looking at all
the "column_name" fields, building your column
list, excepting the column_names you wish to exclude..

Best,

Steve