Quantcast

French Prime Minister loves PostgreSQL

damien clochard

Hipster developpers are not the only one to praise PostgreSQL. The
French Prime Minister, Jean-Marc Ayrault, just sent a letter to every
agency of the French administration to urge them to use more free software :

http://circulaire.legifrance.gouv.fr/pdf/2012/09/cir_35837.pdf

on page 17, you can read :

« Favoriser la migration des bases propriétaires vers des bases
libres, en particulier PostgreSQL. »

Which can be translated as :

« Promote the migration from proprietary databases to free databases
, especially PostgreSQL. »

Can it be any clearer ?

This is not a big surprise for people working in the French PostgreSQL
community. It's a well known fact that PostgreSQL is making its way into
the French gouverment agencies and that huge migrations are coming.

However this is the first time we see such an an official statement.
We've been waiting for it for many years, and this letter overcomes our
expectations.

I think this letter is a tremendous weapon for anyone trying to advocate
PostgreSQL to governement agencies around the world. I will try to start
a translation of the document in wiki, if any other french-speaking guy
wants to help here, let me know !

damien clochard

Re: French Prime Minister loves PostgreSQL

Thom Brown-2
On 22 September 2012 12:58, damien clochard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hipster developpers are not the only one to praise PostgreSQL. The
> French Prime Minister, Jean-Marc Ayrault, just sent a letter to every
> agency of the French administration to urge them to use more free software :
>
> http://circulaire.legifrance.gouv.fr/pdf/2012/09/cir_35837.pdf
>
> on page 17, you can read :
>
> « Favoriser la migration des bases propriétaires vers des bases
> libres, en particulier PostgreSQL. »
>
> Which can be translated as :
>
> « Promote the migration from proprietary databases to free databases
> , especially PostgreSQL. »
>
> Can it be any clearer ?
>
> This is not a big surprise for people working in the French PostgreSQL
> community. It's a well known fact that PostgreSQL is making its way into
> the French gouverment agencies and that huge migrations are coming.
>
> However this is the first time we see such an an official statement.
> We've been waiting for it for many years, and this letter overcomes our
> expectations.
>
> I think this letter is a tremendous weapon for anyone trying to advocate
> PostgreSQL to governement agencies around the world. I will try to start
> a translation of the document in wiki, if any other french-speaking guy
> wants to help here, let me know !

Thanks for sharing Damien. Great to see support from the French government.

--
Thom

Re: French Prime Minister loves PostgreSQL

Josh Berkus
Damien,

Wow, great work!

I know this is largely due to the terrific work you guys in
PostgreSQL.FR have been doing to promote Postgres there.    Thanks so
much, and keep it up.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: French Prime Minister loves PostgreSQL

Adrian Klaver-3
On 09/22/2012 10:08 AM, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Damien,
>
> Wow, great work!
>
> I know this is largely due to the terrific work you guys in
> PostgreSQL.FR have been doing to promote Postgres there.    Thanks so
> much, and keep it up.

+1

--
Adrian Klaver

Re: French Prime Minister loves PostgreSQL

Gabriele Bartolini-5
Ciao Damien,

Il 22/09/12 13:58, damien clochard ha scritto:
> on page 17, you can read :
>
> « Favoriser la migration des bases propriétaires vers des bases
> libres, en particulier PostgreSQL. »
That is absolutely FANTASTIC!

> I think this letter is a tremendous weapon for anyone trying to advocate
> PostgreSQL to governement agencies around the world. I will try to start
> a translation of the document in wiki, if any other french-speaking guy
> wants to help here, let me know !
I agree, it could be a milestone for similar attempts, especially in
European countries.

Cheers,
Gabriele

--
  Gabriele Bartolini - 2ndQuadrant Italia
  [hidden email] | www.2ndQuadrant.it

Re: French Prime Minister loves PostgreSQL

Josh Berkus
... and now a news article:

http://www.cio.com/article/717033/French_Government_Outlines_Plans_for_Free_Software_Adoption

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Le 22/09/2012 13:58, damien clochard a écrit :

> Hipster developpers are not the only one to praise PostgreSQL. The
> French Prime Minister, Jean-Marc Ayrault, just sent a letter to every
> agency of the French administration to urge them to use more free software :
>
> http://circulaire.legifrance.gouv.fr/pdf/2012/09/cir_35837.pdf
>
> [...]
>
> I think this letter is a tremendous weapon for anyone trying to advocate
> PostgreSQL to governement agencies around the world. I will try to start
> a translation of the document in wiki, if any other french-speaking guy
> wants to help here, let me know !

Here is a Spanish translation of the document:
http://garreavocat.com/GarreAvocat/PublicationsPdf/6.1LogLibreESP-FR.pdf

English translation is still a work in progress... People who want to
help the translation effort can contribute directly on this page:
http://pad.april.org/p/translationayraultcircular

--
Damien