Quantcast

How to establish a SSL connection to a postgresql server

How to establish a SSL connection to a postgresql server

Christian Tonhäuser

Hallo,

I want to establish a secure connection to the database server (which is hosted externally) using SSL. What do I have to do?

I'm a novice regarding network administration and similar stuff. I can get a certificate and private key from the hosting firm.

Is there any good  step-by-step guide online? It’s about the settings that have to be done, before even connecting.

Thanks a lot

Christian

Re: How to establish a SSL connection to a postgresql server

Jiff
On Mon, 19 Dec 2011 13:38:09 +0100
Christian Tonhäuser <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I want to establish a secure connection to the database server (which is
> hosted externally) using SSL. What do I have to do?
>
> I'm a novice regarding network administration and similar stuff. I can get a
> certificate and private key from the hosting firm.
>
> Is there any good  step-by-step guide online? It’s about the settings that
> have to be done, before even connecting.

You can use the intrinsic or something like stunnel that'll
just create the tunnel (and optionaly the connection).

Some times ago I found a very useful howto (unfortunately I've
broken my HD since, so no bookmark) that explains how to be
automagically connected by changing the client CN (if I remember
well) to the user's name.

1st step: change the port.

A head start:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/libpq-ssl.html
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/ssl-tcp.html
http://www.howtoforge.com/postgresql-ssl-certificates
http://dba.stackexchange.com/questions/8580/force-postgresql-clients-to-use-ssl

--
Ignore previous fortune.

Re: How to establish a SSL connection to a postgresql server

Pandu Poluan

On Dec 19, 2011 7:39 PM, "Christian Tonhäuser" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hallo,
>

> I want to establish a secure connection to the database server (which is hosted externally) using SSL. What do I have to do?
>
> I'm a novice regarding network administration and similar stuff. I can get a certificate and private key from the hosting firm.
>
> Is there any good  step-by-step guide online? It’s about the settings that have to be done, before even connecting.
>

> Thanks a lot

If what you need is a secure tunnel, you can always use an ssh tunnel.

man ssh for more info.

Rgds,

Re: How to establish a SSL connection to a postgresql server

Christian Tonhäuser

Hi,

I want to create a secure connection from a web application on one server to a database on another. What‘s the best way?

/Christian

Rgds,

Re: How to establish a SSL connection to a postgresql server

Jiff
On Mon, 19 Dec 2011 17:03:39 +0100
Christian Tonhäuser <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I want to create a secure connection from a web
> application on one server to a database on another.>
> What‘s the best way?

I think U don't know about MLs: 1st thing is about searching on your
own, 2nd thing is *really* search on you own, 3rd thing is *really,
really* search on your own; 3rd thing is NOT to bother anyone before
having searching 'really really really' before searching by your own.

Asking without making personal research is a confusion of mind...

--
BOFH excuse #234:
Someone is broadcasting pygmy packets and the router doesn't know