Quantcast

LOG: unexpected EOF on client connection

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

LOG: unexpected EOF on client connection

Bala Venkat
Hi all -

              I am seeing lot of these records in the log file. Not able to find why I get this in log file. Is there a way to find out info about this ? Thanks for your help


LOG:  unexpected EOF on client connection
LOG:  unexpected EOF on client connection
LOG:  unexpected EOF on client connection
LOG:  unexpected EOF on client connection
LOG:  unexpected EOF on client connection
LOG:  unexpected EOF on client connection
LOG:  unexpected EOF on client connection
LOG:  unexpected EOF on client connection
LOG:  unexpected EOF on client connection
LOG:  unexpected EOF on client connection
LOG:  unexpected EOF on client connection
LOG:  unexpected EOF on client connection
LOG:  unexpected EOF on client connection


Regards
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: LOG: unexpected EOF on client connection

Tomas Vondra
> Hi all -
>
>               I am seeing lot of these records in the log file. Not able
> to
> find why I get this in log file. Is there a way to find out info about
> this
> ? Thanks for your help
>
>
> LOG:  unexpected EOF on client connection
> LOG:  unexpected EOF on client connection

This means the client application is dropping the connection unexpectedly.
You have to find the application and fix it - a good log_line_prefix may
be a good way to find the application (e.g. "%t %u@%d %r" or something
like that).

Not too long ago I've received a lot of these when the apache http server
went crazy after an update and was dropping the connections (opened by a
PHP application) for some reason.

regards
Tomas


--
Sent via pgsql-general mailing list ([hidden email])
To make changes to your subscription:
http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgsql-general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: LOG: unexpected EOF on client connection

Scott Marlowe-2
On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 8:11 AM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Hi all -
>>
>>               I am seeing lot of these records in the log file. Not able
>> to
>> find why I get this in log file. Is there a way to find out info about
>> this
>> ? Thanks for your help
>>
>>
>> LOG:  unexpected EOF on client connection
>> LOG:  unexpected EOF on client connection
>
> This means the client application is dropping the connection unexpectedly.
> You have to find the application and fix it - a good log_line_prefix may
> be a good way to find the application (e.g. "%t %u@%d %r" or something
> like that).

Or that OP has a networking issue.  Some firewalls are known for
dropping what they think are idle connections when they aren't.

--
Sent via pgsql-general mailing list ([hidden email])
To make changes to your subscription:
http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgsql-general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: LOG: unexpected EOF on client connection

Ben Carbery

Or that OP has a networking issue.  Some firewalls are known for
dropping what they think are idle connections when they aren't.


I don't think so.. EOF is an explicit termination, not a timeout as would caused by a firewall dropping traffic. It's more like what happens when the remote process on the client is killed for example. Postgres probably expects to see some kind of "quit" command prior to receiving the EOF.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: LOG: unexpected EOF on client connection

Scott Marlowe-2
On Sat, Oct 9, 2010 at 5:45 PM, Ben Carbery <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Or that OP has a networking issue.  Some firewalls are known for
>> dropping what they think are idle connections when they aren't.
>>
>
> I don't think so.. EOF is an explicit termination, not a timeout as would
> caused by a firewall dropping traffic. It's more like what happens when the
> remote process on the client is killed for example. Postgres probably
> expects to see some kind of "quit" command prior to receiving the EOF.

Well, this is exactly the error I used to get when the problem was
having a firewall timeout between client and server at my last job.
The fix there was to play with the tcp_keepalive settings

--
To understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.

--
Sent via pgsql-general mailing list ([hidden email])
To make changes to your subscription:
http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgsql-general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: LOG: unexpected EOF on client connection

Brar Piening
In reply to this post by Bala Venkat

On Fri, 8 Oct 2010 09:57:31 -0400, akp geek <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> LOG:  unexpected EOF on client connection

Npgsql is a very potent EOF-Generator if the client app doesn't properly
close (or dispose explicitly) connections.

see
http://fxjr.blogspot.com/2010/04/npgsql-connection-pool-explained.html

Regards,

Brar


--
Sent via pgsql-general mailing list ([hidden email])
To make changes to your subscription:
http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgsql-general
Loading...