Quantcast

cannot access postgresql 7.3 via pgadmin III

cannot access postgresql 7.3 via pgadmin III

Amit Sharma-17

Hi,

I am trying to access postgresql version 7.3 using pgadmin III from windows
2000 OS but i always keep getting the error Fatal - password authentication
failed for user root. i have allowed access in the pg_hba.conf file for all
users to access all databases by the defined ip's but still whenever i try
to access the database from pgadmin remotely i get the error Fatal -
password authentication failed for user root. I have also a set tcp ip =
true in postgresql.conf. Can you please give me some hints as to what could
be the problem.

Thanks
regards,
Amit

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: cannot access postgresql 7.3 via pgadmin III

Dave Page

Do you have a PostgreSQL user called root? The PostgreSQL superuser
account is normally 'postgres'.

Regards. Dave.

TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend

Re: cannot access postgresql 7.3 via pgadmin III

Amit Sharma-17
Hi ,

I have a database called sabdb. I can use the pasql client from linux and
connect to it via root, so i guess root access to the db is allowed. The
only problem is to connect to it via pgadmin III on win 2k OS via external
hosts whose IP's are already entered into the pg_hba.conf . Please view the
attached files for your reference. I am a novice in postgresql and so i want
to connect to the database via a windows tool and check the database.

Thanks in advance for all the help

Regards,
Amit

      joining column's datatypes do not match

postgresql.conf (6K) Download Attachment
pg_hba.conf (3K) Download Attachment

Re: cannot access postgresql 7.3 via pgadmin III

Dave Page

What does "select * from pg_user" return? Is there a user called root in
the result set?

Regards, Dave

               http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq

Re: cannot access postgresql 7.3 via pgadmin III

Amit Sharma-17
Hi Dave,

Yeah the output of select * from pg_user; returns two values.

1. root (usesysid - 100)with some password in encrypted form
2. postgres (usesysid - 1) with password in encrypted form

What is the password of the user postgres???, so i can try to connect via
this one and check.

Thanks
Regards
Amit

               http://archives.postgresql.org

Re: cannot access postgresql 7.3 via pgadmin III

Dave Page

I have no idea - it's your system :-)

Try setting the password using ALTER USER root WITH PASSWORD 'password';
(http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/interactive/sql-alteruser.html).  My
guess is that no password is currently set, so you cannot login remotely
because one is required.

BTW, you might want to change the password entries in pg_hba.conf to md5
as well - this will prevent plain text passwords being sent over the
wire.

Regards, Dave

    (send "unregister YourEmailAddressHere" to [hidden email])