Quantcast

undefined symbol: PQconnectdbParams

Sim Zacks

I compiled postgresql beta 4 on a users account and installed it with a
different port into my home directory (~/pg9)

This was recommended by my web host because they refused to give me
plpythonu access on a shared server. (perfectly understandable from
their perspective)

I can get into psql using psql -p{port number} -U{username} postgres

pg_dump works as well.

When I try using createdb or createlang I get the error:

undefined symbol: PQconnectdbParams

Obviously I can get around this problem by going into psql and running
these commands, but I would like my environment set up correctly.

Any thoughts

Sim

Re: undefined symbol: PQconnectdbParams

Jeff Davis-8
On Sat, 2010-08-14 at 23:18 +0300, Sim Zacks wrote:

> I compiled postgresql beta 4 on a users account and installed it with a
> different port into my home directory (~/pg9)
>
> This was recommended by my web host because they refused to give me
> plpythonu access on a shared server. (perfectly understandable from
> their perspective)
>

> I can get into psql using psql -p{port number} -U{username} postgres
>
> pg_dump works as well.
>

> When I try using createdb or createlang I get the error:
>
> undefined symbol: PQconnectdbParams
>

> Obviously I can get around this problem by going into psql and running
> these commands, but I would like my environment set up correctly.
>

> Any thoughts

It's probably finding the wrong library. Which binaries are you using?
If you do "ldd /path/to/binary", what does it show? Maybe you need to
set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to the "lib" directory of your new postgres install?

Regards,
        Jeff Davis

Re: undefined symbol: PQconnectdbParams

Sim Zacks

>> When I try using createdb or createlang I get the error:
>>
>> undefined symbol: PQconnectdbParams
> It's probably finding the wrong library. Which binaries are you using?
> If you do "ldd /path/to/binary", what does it show? Maybe you need to
> set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to the "lib" directory of your new postgres install?
>
> Regards,
> Jeff Davis
That worked. I added LD_LIBRARY_PATH to my bash.profile and its working
fine now.

Thanks
Sim